Vegan peanut butter and salted caramel brownies

I don't want to cause mass cake-related panic, but these might be my favourite thing I've ever baked. That may have a little something to do with my slight - ahem - peanut butter addiction and new obsession with salted caramel. It must be the colder weather or the autumnal hues on my Instagram feed but I can't get enough of either flavour - then, of course, there's chocolate, but do I really need an excuse to crave that?




Serves 16

Ingredients

Peanut butter caramel

160 ml coconut cream
70 g caster sugar
4 tablespoons peanut butter
4 tablespoons agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

Brownies

250 g plain flour
350 g golden caster sugar
90 g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
250 ml almond milk
2 VeganEgg
100 ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Line a 20 cm square baking tray with foil, letting it overhang the edges.

To make the caramel, heat the cream in a small pan.

Meanwhile, in a heavy pan off the heat, mix the sugar with 60 ml water until dissolved, then cook over a medium-high heat until the mixture turns pale amber. Swirl the pan but don't stir. Reduce the heat, add the warm cream, then whisk in the peanut butter, agave, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl to cool and set aside.

For the brownies, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

In a separate bowl, combine the remaining brownie ingredients.

Gradually beat the wet ingredients into the dry until smooth.

Pour half the batter into the prepared tin, then drizzle over half the caramel mixture. Pour over the remaining batter, smoothing it with the back of a spoon. Swirl over the remaining caramel.

Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm to touch. Leave to stand in the tray for 10 minutes, then use the foil to lift out onto a chopping board.

Cut into 16 squares. Eat them all yourself.




These are wonderful. Soft, rich and delicious, they're the perfect dessert. After finally getting my hands on the Alpro hazelnut chocolate ice cream, I served up a couple of scoops with a warm brownie, and, honestly, it was vegan heaven (insert the kissy face emoji here). 

When (not if, when) I make them again, I think I'll reduce the oil slightly - it might be because I used VeganEgg and oil but they are slightly softer than I'd ideally like. This sadly means I'll need force myself to bake another batch... (pig emoji).

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig