Cacao 'chocolate' porridge

I usually eat porridge for breakfast every day at work (at my desk, while checking emails, oh the glamour!), so by the time the weekend rolls round, I fancy something different. But this Friday I had the biggest craving for chocolate porridge - which is particularly strange because I haven't eaten that since I was little and tucked into microwaveable bowls of Ready Brek. For whatever reason, the belly wants what the belly wants, so I caved and decided to make a slightly more grown up version of my childhood favourite. 


Serves 2-4 (depending on how hungry you are!)

Ingredients

120g porridge oats

800ml almond milk (or substitute for your own favourite dairy-free milk)

2 mashed bananas

1½ tablespoons cacao powder

2 tablespoons agave nectar

Raspberries and chopped banana to serve

Method

Mix the oats, milk, mashed banana, cacao powder and agave nectar together in a saucepan and bring to the boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes, stirring regularly to stop the porridge from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.

I poured in about 500ml of almond milk to start with, then topped up as the porridge simmered to reach the consistency I prefer - you may find that you need more or less milk depending on if you like your porridge thick or runny!

Spoon into bowls then top with raspberries, chopped banana and a sprinkle of cacao powder.


Sweet and filling, this chocolate porridge is a perfect weekend breakfast which feels a little indulgent. With oats, nut milk, fruit and cacao powder, it's also actually better for you than the name suggests - did you know cacao powder has more antioxidants than blueberries, is the highest plant-based source of iron, and has more calcium than cow's milk?! So, go on, treat yourself and heap another spoonful into your porridge...

By the way, cacao powder might sound like something you need to hunt through health shops to find, but I bought mine in Tesco. It's pricey but you need very little for a lot of flavour, so one tub will last for ages. 



No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig