Vegan restaurants in Dublin

I flew across to Dublin last week for a whirlwind trip around Ireland, so, of course, I was keen to find out where to go for vegan food in the city. As someone from Northern Ireland, who has ordered the 'vegetarian option' of chips when I'm back visiting family, I'll admit I didn't have high hopes for finding vegan restaurants in Ireland. I was pleasantly surprised then to find that Dublin is bursting with vegetarian and vegan food - in fact, I didn't even get to try  everywhere on my list! Ah well, I guess that gives me the perfect excuse to go back then... For anyone else considering a trip to this wonderful city (and if you're not already, you should be), I've rounded up a little vegan guide to Dublin.


Yogism

Oh my, will you just look at those vegan pancakes?! Pop in to Yogism in George's Street Arcade for a plate of these buckwheat flour and banana pancakes, served with homemade coconut yoghurt, caramelised banana, almond nibs, walnuts, and syrup. Yogism isn't exclusively vegan, but still worth a visit for pancakes, smoothies and coffee (or ask them to skip the honey on their porridge, which is cooked in coconut milk). There's even a peanut butter tap, which, if you ask me, is reason enough to visit Ireland. 



Umi Falafel

Umi Falafel is a vegetarian restaurant serving up fresh falafel wraps and salads, to sit in or take away. I ordered 'The Palestinian Falafel', a pitta bread full of hummus, tomato, cucumber pickles, fried aubergine, flat parsley topped with chilli and tahini sauce, and sweet potato fries. With two different locations in Dublin, including one on Dame Street around the corner from Dublin Castle, Umi Falafel is also really convenient when you're rushing around from one tourist sight to the next (or on your way to a pub crawl and need something to line your stomach...).


Govindas 

Okay, so curry isn't the most attractive food to photograph, but I promise you that this was all so delicious! Govindas is a vegetarian, canteen-style restaurant, with two locations in Dublin, so grab a tray and tuck in. We asked the server what was vegan and he heaped our plates with rice and curry sauce, cauliflower and potato curry, curried chickpeas, homemade brown bread, and insisted that we also try the lentil shepherd's pie. I would like to point out that plate of shepherd's pie was for two to share - I'm honestly not that greedy... 


Antoinette's Bakery

We headed to Antoinette's Bakery on our first day in Dublin, because when I hear about vegan doughnuts I don't hang about! This gluten-free bakery has a counter packed with freshly baked cakes and biscuits, with vegan options clearly marked. I was delighted not only find vegan sugar doughnuts, but also cinnamon or chocolate snickerdoodles and chocolate cupcakes. These were all so creamy, light and tasty but the cinnamon snickerdoodle had to be my favourite. We were also served coffee and tea (with a choice of different nut milks) in wonderfully mismatched mugs - I do wonder if the waitress handed Sam the Scotland mug after hearing his accent!



Sova Vegan Butcher

Not far from Antoinette's Bakery is the wonderful Sova Vegan Butcher. This BYOB restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and has one of the most creative vegan menus I've ever seen anywhere. King skallops with beurre blanc sauce, dill potato cakes, marinated cauliflower, black pudding crisps and kelp caviar is just one of the incredible options on the dinner menu, for example. I've shared two photos from Sova Vegan Butcher because, even though I ordered the chia burger (served with red onion marmalade, fermented cucumber, coleslaw and jalapeno mayo), I have to mention the seitan doner kebab. This beauty is served with beef tomato, guacomole, white cabbage, mixed salad and tzatziki, has an incredible smokey taste, and is making me hungry just remembering it. 


Cornucopia

I'm going to finish with Cornucopia and their tasty take on a vegan cooked breakfast: sausage, grilled mushroom, hash brown, scrambled tofu with peppers and mushrooms, homemade baked beans, and freshly baked toast. This spread - washed down with a teapot of breakfast tea with almond milk - was exactly what I needed before heading to the Irish seaside for a day of exploring.  Carnicopia is another canteen-style restaurant, so grab a tray and choose from a 'fry up', fruit or granola for breakfast, then a daily selection of soups, salads, wraps, and five different mains from noon until closing. Oh, and cakes and desserts, of course!

Let me know if I've missed out any of your favourite places for vegetarian and vegan food in Dublin!


No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig